Tuesday, January 19, 2010

National Popcorn Day!

Oh how I love popcorn - we always have some in our pantry and it is typically popped in our house at least 3 times per week.  I think it is one of the best afternoon snacks around - a whole cup of popcorn only has about 30-55 calories but it is really filling because it's a whole grain food and high in fiber.  I always top my popcorn but not with the typical buttery, fatty topping - nope, I top mine with soy sauce - mmm my mouth is watering thinking about it!  Don't knock it until you try it, I have converted many naysayers over the years!
+=Heart Left-highlight Clip Art


If you aren't buying the soy sauce yet another really fun thing to do with kids is to make that crazy colored popcorn.  There are two ways to make it - one with food coloring and sugar water and the other with gelatin - click here to see both.


Another great way to celebrate National Popcorn Day is buy indulging in one of those delicious popcorn tins from http://www.thepopcornfactory.com/.  They make great gifts and talk about getting creative with the toppings, here they have Banana Cream Pie, Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza, White Chocolate Raspberry and Thai Peanut flavored popcorn.  


I'm looking forward to enjoying some fun flavors today and I hope you enjoy this day with some zesty flavored popcorn too!




1 comment:

  1. I remembered you put something on your popcorn, but I couldn't remember what. Soy Sauce! How could I forget? I enjoyed popcorn and Chardonnay last night during The Bachelor. Maybe a repeat tonight since it is the National Day.

    ReplyDelete